Hey, Guys and Dolls!
Today I thought of sharing something a little different:
I love decorative plates. They are so fun! It’s a great way to make a huge design statement and not very hard to put together, so I thought of making a Halloween Plate Wall!
Thing is: I couldn’t find real plates that were to my liking, so I’ve decided to make my own!
Therefore, here’s my DIY Sort-of-Creepy Steampunk-ish Halloween Plate Wall:
- Clear Plastics Plates 10″
- Clear Plastic Plates 7.5″
- Mod Podge
- Krylon White Glossy Spray Paint
- A Compass
- A Pen
- An Eraser
- Halloween Printables
- A Paint Brush
LET’S MAKE THIS!
1. Choose the printouts – there’s an array of free Halloween Printables to Choose from online. I chose the ones that spoke to me. Print them out using a laser printer (deskjets will make the design bleed). You can create your own compositions like I did.
2. I’ve come up with 3 techniques to make my plates – I will explain them in detail later:
A – Decoupage without Spray Painting
B – Decoupaging the Design to the Front of the plate
C – Decoupaging the Design to the Back of the Plate
If you are new to Decoupaging, it’s a technique to decorate surfaces by applying cutouts (as of paper) and then coating with usually several layers of finish (such as lacquer, varnish – or ModPodge)
3. Use the plate as a template and draw a circle on the back of the printouts.
4. Cut the designs
5. Decoupage without Spray Painting – Cut small slits all around the circular printout:
6. Spread ModPodge to the BACK of the plate or to the FRONT the printout – I obviously made a mistake here, but you get the gist! LOL
7. Carefully place the plate on top of the printout and fold the slits following the shape of the plate:
8. Decoupaging the design to the FRONT of the plate – Spray Paint the back of the plate with your favorite color. I chose white, but it will work with any other color.
9. Cut around the design:
9. Create your composition, use ModPodge to attach it to the FRONT of the plate; add a layer of ModPodge to the Front, and set it aside to dry. Add a second layer if needed.
10. Decoupaging it to the BACK of the plate – Cut around the design, create your composition and glue the design to the BACK of the plate.
11. After its dry, spray paint the back of the plate. This is my favorite technique and the result will be very realistic.
12. Add small pieces of Command Strips to the back of each plate and decide how you want to hang them:
And VOILÀ! You’ve got yourself a personalized, Halloween Plate Wall!
Not to brag, but I’m obsessed with mine!
What do you think?
If you decide to make your own, please leave a comment below with the link! I’m gonna love to see it!!!!
Well… this is it, peeps… come back tomorrow, for another Hallowing DIY!